Wednesday, April 28, 2010

About do swamp coolers / evaporative coolers work OK in Dallas Texas

Do swamp coolers / evaporative coolers work OK in Dallas Texas?
I'm not needing it to be 70F, but in mid summer, I'd like to reduce my house temp from 100F to 85F or so. Do they work in Dallas?
Other - Home & Garden - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Not really. The relative humidity needs to be down in the 10 to 20 percent range for an evaporative cooler to be effective. They work great in places like Midland and Odessa but not DFW area. If you want some facts on their performance look here: http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/evaporative.html
2 :
Lots of people had them when I lived in Dallas. I had one in my two car garage that I converted into a shop.I still remember How cool it got when I was working out there. The cost was way cheaper than a/c and with the doors closed it kept me from sweating.

Read more other entries :